Marie Lynch (mu-ree lench)

My photo
NC - North Carolina
I'm a wife, mom, and intercessor. Won't you find some comfort in your story as you read about mine day by Dei...
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

God Smiles

Here's a quick apology to you who check my blog frequently...Krissy reminded me today on the playground that there are actually people who read this! I was blown away. It made me want to come home and write.

So, we all have a Wal-Mart story, right?
Here's mine:

Last Sunday, my Sunday School lesson was centered around having a grateful heart. We've been learning that a complaining, griping attitude leaves you in the wilderness spiritually. Our verse was found in 1Thessalonians 5:18, where believers are exhorted to "give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus."

I absolutely got my chance. It was in Walmart.

I loaded the children up, headed for a much-needed grocery trip. Both Mabrie and Jude were in great spirits, and over all I give the shopping part an A+. Upon checkout, I did what everyone does. I looked for the shortest line. Impossible. Every checkout lane was around four carts deep with customers. I looked around and noticed every single self-checkout was available. No lines.

So, I began the self-checkout process.Yes, it is a process, especially if you use coupons. I scanned and bagged nearly ten bags worth of groceries. I bagged them with pecularity. Meats together. Fruit handled with care. Bread by itself. With a mere handful of items left to scan, the computer stops. It shut down. I mean, completely shut down. Did your heart just sink? I know, mine did.
What to do? I had to then grab all the groceries--bagged and unbagged---and go stand back in line. But, only this time the line was seven carts deep with elderly folk. I later learned it was the exact day Social Security checks were issued. That's not funny. I heard you laugh.

So, after finally arriving to my turn in line, I just had to praise my God. I began to patiently tell the cashier what happened, and suddenly something struck me. My children, Mabrie and Jude. They had been so quiet and well-behaved, I hardly even noticed them. I began to brag on their behavior, how well-mannered they had been throughout the last hour of trying to checkout. I noticed that my own spirit was not boiling. Could it be? I began to give thanks. I gave God praise even when I didn't feel like it. I told the cashier, "we serve a great God!" and she replied, "sometimes God smiles on us."

I love when God makes the very Word come to life with practical daily happenings. He redeemed my Wal-mart trip from something very frustrating to something worth glorifying Him!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the post!! I enjoyed it, and it reminded me to thank God for the gifts that he has given me. Its easy to thank Him for an answered prayer, but how easliy I forget to thank Him for the things that He has given me that I never thought to ask for!!

    The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings! ~Henry Ward Beecher

    ReplyDelete